Recent comments

• Westwood Theatre: Curtain Call   2 years 9 weeks ago

Do you know where I could get a copy of a photo of opening night?

• Peach tree invaders   2 years 29 weeks ago

I am still trying to figure out what this is too. I have it on one of my trees and it is COVERED like crazy. I am pretty sure I will just cut the tree down. It seems easier that way then trying to save it. My tree looks awful too. the leaves are sparse and the ones that are there are dingy sticky and gross looking.

• BANG!   2 years 33 weeks ago

I used to go through a set of rims a year when I commuted in Scotland. I never once blew a rim, but had one start to split on the way home.

Old rims - like the Rigidas I had on my 1983 Stumpjumper - were incredibly heavy. Old brake blocks were basically some class of rubber compound, but ever since Scott-Mathauser put rust particles in their blocks and found you could stop on a dime, rim wear is a big issue.

• BANG!   2 years 35 weeks ago

That's awesome how they let you ride your bike indoors. I wish they'd let me do that at my work. I'd be the first one to the cafeteria at lunch!

• BANG!   2 years 35 weeks ago

Impressive.

I've blown out a few tires, but never a rim. I always hear people say that rims should be treated as consumables, but I've never had to replace one because of brake wear; replacement because of a pothole-induced unrepairable dent always seems to come first.

• BANG!   2 years 35 weeks ago
    Wow

Wow. I've always just accepted the wisdom that you need to replace worn rims without considering why. Thanks for showing me what can happen!

• Make yourself at home   2 years 42 weeks ago

Beards on the boys are a must.

• Final ride on a TTC H4 Subway: The Big Vent   2 years 42 weeks ago

"Excessively enthusiastic railfans are sometimes referred to pejoratively as foamers, especially by American rail workers, in reference to the joking notion that they foam at the mouth in their excitement over train operations." [Wikipedia]

Wide-angle lenses tend to create wonderful distortions at the edges of the frame.

• Final ride on a TTC H4 Subway: The Big Vent   2 years 42 weeks ago

What is a foamer?

That poor lady in the niqab doesn't seem happy that you're taking her picture. And her brother appears to have massive feet!

• Final ride on a TTC H4 Subway: The Big Vent   2 years 43 weeks ago

I was lucky that it was timed to easily fit into my regular commute.

• Final ride on a TTC H4 Subway: The Big Vent   2 years 43 weeks ago

I thought about making my way onto this train, but that whole getting-out-of-the-house-early-in-the-morning thing got in the way. I'm glad that the H4's victory lap was well-attended by fans.

• Caltrain: Sunnyvale   3 years 12 weeks ago

Vic, I cannot get the email address to work that is on the bottom: vic@gedris.org

I saw your website with the beautiful photos - they are beautiful. The reason I am writing is that I am the Editor of the Polish Eaglet, journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan, www.pgsm.org, and writing a story on the Gedris family that settled in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I will copy the first few paragraphs of the story below. I am trying to determine the ancestral village of the Gedris. The man that gave me some written material has Alzheimers Disease and cannot remember the village. I was wondering if you can aid me?

Roger Laske
    Clinton twp, MI
    roger.pgsm@gmail.com

The Ideal Furniture Company and the Gedris Family of Grand Rapids, Michigan
    By William, Jr. and Harleae Gedris
    As I shake the family tree, I find there has been much about my ancestors that I did not know until I traced it back for this story. In the year 1854, George Gedris was born in a small border town , ______________, in Lithuania. His mother had lived across the border in Germany all her life until she had entered a crafts school to learn sewing. Here she met a young man from the neighboring country of Lithuania who had come to study furniture craft and to lean the German language.
    Young George grew up in a home where great stress was laid on the ability to read, write, and speak more than one language. His mother, ________, spoke French besides her native German and she, in time, grew to speak Lithuanian like a native. George’s father, _____________, spoke Lithuanian and Russian and his wife taught him to speak German more fluently.
    By the time young George was young man, the local government officials had begun to urge him to join the postal and customs service. He took a position in one of the customs houses on the border between Germany and Lithuania. When he left this service to come to America, he was speaking, reading, and writing seven languages.
    About the time he left this service, he married Mary Souker and they planned from the moment they were married toward the day when they would come to America. It was certain that they wanted their children to grow up in a free country where they would not be bound to military service. Finally, they decided the time to start had come.

• Lego Mobster   3 years 15 weeks ago

After the meeting, that evening, I was very excited to see that he was toting a suitcase full of old-school LEGO (and instruction books). But in my excitement, I'd neglected to introduce myself to him. So thanks for posting this photo, as I've been wondering who he is.

• Lego Mobster   3 years 16 weeks ago

I don't get it.

In any case, it is not fair to make assumptions about people based on ethnic stereotypes. For all you know, he could be a Sumo wrestler. You just can't tell a book by it's cover. Racism ends with you and me.

• Railway Child   3 years 21 weeks ago

I'm glad to see you're raising that kid right!

• Nevermind the 7-11, we have 8-11!   3 years 23 weeks ago

TO seems to lack good early morning coffee shops that open at 7am...is it just me up at 7am looking for coffee?

• Nevermind the 7-11, we have 8-11!   3 years 23 weeks ago

Now I kind of hope that the new business retains the 8-11 name and the sign. I really like it. :)

• Nevermind the 7-11, we have 8-11!   3 years 23 weeks ago

Wow, that sounds pretty cool, William.

• Nevermind the 7-11, we have 8-11!   3 years 23 weeks ago

We already chatted with the new renters. The way they describe it it's sort of a coffee house with art and performance. It sounds like a little bit of everything. They seemed nice and they complimented the neighbourhood. We, in turn, welcomed them and wished them luck

• Wired   3 years 24 weeks ago

Carlton Village was one of the parts of the City of West Toronto Junction. Check the map on the West Toronto Junction Historical Society website.

• Wired   3 years 24 weeks ago

carlton village is not the junction

• Peach tree invaders   3 years 29 weeks ago

If you go to a garden centre, someone should be able to guide you. I have a similar issue with bugs on my grapevine that eat the leaves. I was sold a hippy, non-so-toxic to humans, "natural" tree hugger/birkenstock wearer-approved product that you spray on in early spring. It really mitigates the problem. If I get a chance, I can let you know what it's called. But it might not work on your bugs.

• Peach tree invaders   3 years 30 weeks ago

Any solution presented for your peach tree parasite problem. I've got a whole cherry plum tree infested with them and at least one more partially infested, and part of an apple tree. I have not even looked at the other trees. I'm afraid of the potential size of this problem.

Anyway, if you find out what they are please contact me. Contact me even if you don't and I will let you know when I find out.

Thanks for your post!

• Kugelis (or, Tastiest Dinner in a Loooong Time)   3 years 31 weeks ago

...and my lunch was delicious too.

• Kugelis (or, Tastiest Dinner in a Loooong Time)   3 years 31 weeks ago

I left part of the kugelis uncovered for photographic purposes, so that you could see the embedded bacon and the rest of the texture.

Morning update: It was delicious for breakfast too, of course.