Recent comments

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 27 weeks ago

Hey i have 2 baby pigeons on my balcony I noticed the eggs about a month ago and decided to leave them there but thing is don't they carry diseases? I have a dog that goes out on the balcony to pee will it hurt her in any way? I even took pics of the eggs and pigeon i wanted to watch them hatch but i missed it would have been interesting to watch. The pigeons nest is behind a piece of board i had stuck up there werid how they just layed the eggs there knowing we come in and out of the balcony. Well hope to hear from someone soon
    Vanessa

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 27 weeks ago

Hello,
    I loved your story about the Tokyo pigeon family.
    I also seem to be a pigeon magnet or rather my balcony is.
    I have tried numerous times to chase away a very determined pair with no success. They have now managed to lay two eggs on the part of the balcony I have not fenced off. The rest of my balcony is fenced off as for the past 7months I've had a rescue pigeon that I found, thought would die but after mashing up seeds and plenty of TLC it is now ridiculously tame,it loves to be fussed, has an annoying habit of sitting on my shoulder and falling asleep and makes a strange coo noise if ignored. It will never beable to fly again due to the injury sustained. So it has become the new lodger and lives with me in my flat. It has become a great companion and pet Much to the disguist of many a friend. I got so fed up with so many banging on about how they are vermin, covered in disease can kill humans etc. I decided to do some research and as predicted it is a total myth, blatant propaganda spread in the 1980s by a billion dollar pest control industry so have no fear you will not catch any deadly lurgy.

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 28 weeks ago

Here is a link to pigeon diseases and what they can do to humans. http://www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsPigeons.html#d

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 30 weeks ago

no they are not dead because i got told that they can hatch from march to june so leave it for some weeks a reserch on the internet because i am in the same situation like you and do not tuch the nest because the mom pigeonwill no return then the pigeon eggs will be dead

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 31 weeks ago

I found a Pigeon nest on my balcony, as well. I destroyed it thinking that if I did this the Pigeons would nest elsewhere. The same two pigeons, one fat and whitish grey the other skinny and mostly grey with a hint of green were sill flapping and crapping around my porch. I often work at home so I bought a squirt gun and any time I saw them land on my balcony I'd aim for their eye but was lucky to even hit them on a feather. They're not quick but my screen door is very noisy.

Anyway, one day after grilling steaks I thought I'd put the grill cover back on; seeing as my grill is one of the few items on my porch that is not covered in spattered pigeon poop. The cover had been sitting out for a few hours, I went to grab it and nearly #@!% my pants. Apparently a pigeon was under or inside it. When I finally got the cover back on my grill and looked back at the spot where the grill cover temporarily sat, I found a cracked egg.

I must admit I felt a little guilty but I'd already had a few evening cocktails so my sensitive nature was soon washed away. "At least," I thought, "The Pigeons are sure to stay away this time."

Only problem is, just the other day, about a week or so after the first egg grill cover incident, I discovered another nest between two folded lawn chairs stacked between my dryer (yes this on my balcony, too) and my air conditioner unit. This time the nest contained two eggs and I conceded defeat.

I've decided, especially after reading the many posts, diseases or no diseases, I will help the plumb whitish grey (I've now named her Edna) and the thin grayish green (Chuck)live to see their dreams of a family in all its glory on my balcony in Tokyo, Japan.

I hope the little buggers hatch soon and fly away free.

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 31 weeks ago

well if you are pregnant keep away from them its simple

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   10 years 32 weeks ago

Hi Tom!

It's not the heavy-duty trailer, just the regular one. I think if I were to buy one again just for cargo purposes, I'd opt of the heavy-duty so I could carry heavier stuff without any fear.

This one came with my Bike Friday folding bike, and is used for towing the suitcase trailer that the bike packs into. It's beefy enough for carrying camping equipment and other loads, but I don't think I would put TOO much stuff on it.

It makes a great grocery-getter!

I just saw the pics that Brenda emailed me. AWESOME! It's really alot of fun moving stuff by bike. It can seem un-doable at first, but it's pretty easy with the right equipment once you get started.

Cheers,
    Vic

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   10 years 32 weeks ago

Nice! I just looked at the website, is that the heavy-duty? Did you order online? I'd like to hear updates on the performance... I think Brenda just e-mailed you, but check out our trailer adventures on her facebook page... man, there's nothing quite like hauling a filing cabinet through Chinatown!

• Pigeon Eggs   10 years 34 weeks ago

I think you should do your research. Pigeons in fact carry diseases such as cyptoccosis, histoplasma,and toxoplasmis(which is very serious if inhaled by a pregnant women).

• Smokers Have it Rough   10 years 35 weeks ago

not really the place to type this but I could'nt leave a comment on the picture of you hanging upside down from a tree kissing Jen, we really like that pic here and had a laugh :-D

• Smokers Have it Rough   10 years 35 weeks ago

Rans Rocket (red one) and the Giro 20,, I hope to buy one of them tommorow :-D,,,,,,,,,,,, pipe and driving the bike lol nope but I did smoke the odd joint on the fixed gear 8^p

• Smokers Have it Rough   10 years 35 weeks ago

Cool! Which bikes are you testing?

I definitely think a pipe smoker would look stylish riding a recumbent trike. :)

Cheers,
    Vic

• Smokers Have it Rough   10 years 35 weeks ago

I smoke a pipe so there :-p ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I go for the test rides on the bents Saturday :-D

• The Long Way Home: Port Credit and Etobicoke   10 years 37 weeks ago

Hey Jason,

Yeah, it's a bit far to go every day, but nice when I have the time and energy!

Another good one that I just did earlier this week was riding into Toronto, then north up to the Eglinton Ave. bikeway, then down the Humber River. When I move closer to downtown, I could extend this by riding all the way down to the lake, and then back up to my new place.....for a nice long S-shaped fun commute.

Still have to do the "Campute" someday!

-Vic

• Lightning Storm   10 years 37 weeks ago

Hi,

Glad you liked those photos! It was fun watching the lightning and trying to get those pics.

That was actually my first attempt at photographing lightning. I guess I was lucky, and the frequency of the lightning allowed me to catch 3 decent strikes.

Basically, all I did was set my digital camera to a long exposure time (I think 10 seconds) and continuously take pictures. I probably took about 70-80 photos that night to get those three to turn out.

There are some pretty amazing CN Tower lightning strikes online:

Cheers,
    Vic

• Lightning Storm   10 years 37 weeks ago

I had that storm over my house during that day and we had a tornado out by Havelock, Ontario. It was a little scary seeing the funnel (then Tornado) being lit up by intense lightning. This was the first time I have ever saw a tornado in my 19 years of my whole life. I was freaking out.

I think that these pictures are really neat to look at. I have been trying to get pictures of the CN Tower being hit by lightning but no luck. I have gotten pictures of lightning bolts and heat lightning but nothing so intense. I love that picture of the cloud to ground strike that the picture is up while I am typing this. I am wondering if you can give me some hints to be successful at capturing the lightning strikes.

• The Long Way Home: Port Credit and Etobicoke   10 years 37 weeks ago

Holy moly, that route looks so nice! Why don't you use that route every day?

[looks at map] Oh, that's why.

• The Long Way Home: Port Credit and Etobicoke   10 years 37 weeks ago

Steeker: Yeah, the lake was amazingly calm that day. I'm really glad I went for that ride, because the weather is turning bad again now for the next little while.

Bob: Thanks for dropping in and commenting. I'll check out some of your travel stories soon! I've had my NWT for almost a year now, and it's been GREAT for travel. I've taken it on work trips to Ottawa and North Carolina, and for a two-week vacation around Vancouver. I haven't actually toured with the trailer yet, but will probably get a chance to do that this summer. I generally prefer panniers whenever possible.

Cheers,
    Vic

• The Long Way Home: Port Credit and Etobicoke   10 years 37 weeks ago

Vic,

I am a Bike Friday owner/rider too. And I also use Drupal for a few sites. You have some great stuff going here.

I took my Bike Friday to France (and Belgium and the Netherlands) in 2004 to follow the Tour de France using the bike and trailer and trains. I took camping stuff too. You can check out WWW sites about my travels below.

My wife and I work in the same building at the State Univ of New York at Oneonta. We drive in together and in decent weather I bike home. The earlier change to daylight saving time has really given a lot more days to ride this spring!

Please keep adding these great postings to your site!

Bob

• The Long Way Home: Port Credit and Etobicoke   10 years 37 weeks ago

Those are really nice pictures , I like how high and fast the river looks compared to the smooth lake shots.

• Ice Bike '07   10 years 38 weeks ago

Hey Steeker,

Jen didn't race. I didn't win anything, but it was a FUN ride! Not even really sure who "won"....I think the winners won by votes...it was hard to keep track of where everyone actually was. haha

I think next year I might ride my Swing Bike for the Rubber Race.

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   10 years 38 weeks ago

Hey Steeker,

I don't plan on using this trailer for camping/touring. I will continue to use panniers for that purpose.

Actually, I will probably use the trailer frame and suitcase for some of my tours with the Bike Friday.

This thing will mostly be used for cargo, like grocery runs, carrying bigger items, etc..etc. I bet it can hold ALOT of beer. :)

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   10 years 38 weeks ago

ok I have been trying to leave comments for a long time on your Blog but they don't show up ?? so I'll try again ( Ice races )--> did you win anything? and did Jen race ?,,,,,,,,Now you can carry your tent and stuff for camping runs with that trailer out to the Darlinton camp site , will it work on your Bent ?? and whats the weight limit on it. :-)

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   10 years 38 weeks ago

EXCELLENT Vic ! that is really cool. now you can tow your tent and goodies in the trailer for the camping runs..

• Ice Bike '07   10 years 40 weeks ago