Recent comments

• Vic's Tall-Bike   6 years 34 weeks ago

Greetings from the Davis Bike Church.

I see your design as the classic stack, but simply offset. Definately a good idea, except for large front wheel loading. However, I view odd handling is a must for such class of bicycle.

If you still view this page or are considering revamping this project, I recomend utilizing a steel luged large frame for the rear. Cut out the head tube carefully, and use the old lugs as guides for clamping onto the seat tube of the top frame. Then you can achieve a better fit before brazing. This also gets the right angle set up for clamping the drops on the top bike together to pinch and weld onto the top tube of the lower bike. This would angle the top bike back, leaning in the direction of a semi-recumb like one of those Electra Townies.

It'll kick the front fork out like crazy, but this whole design is abusive of the front anyway. Might want to use a stepthrough frame front section. And chain line won't be a problem. For neatness, you might want to do the tandem deal of three right side cranks, one on the top BB, two on the bottom BB.

Good luck.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 51 weeks ago

i have a pigeon egg and it fell and cracked when i was roationg it on the heating mat?
    Will it live or die now that the egg is cracked? i mean its still in its little skin bubble

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 6 days ago

We have a family of wood pigeons on our balcony. Delighted. Should I try to feed the parents. They are very used to me as I see them every day. The little ones are days old. The parents are devoted. Can I help them or should I forget about food and water. Thanks

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 4 weeks ago

I own 6 homing pigeons, my first ever egg was one I had found in the care home I worked in when I was 18. I accidently scared the hen off, as they werent allowed in the old folks' rooms and as I walked past a table, I notice a small nest with an egg. It was near the end of my shift when I found it and I'd heard about the other staff smashing the eggs when they were found but I didnt have the heart to do that and wrapped the little thing in a dusting cloth to take home! When I got there I emptied my top drawer, laid out a towel and put two lamps in it, along with as thermometer and the little egg itself. I had figured that the pigeon had not been there long, a couple of hours maxium so the little egg was still on its first day of incubation. I turned it often and checked its progress everyday and sure enough on the 6th day I had a look and I could see little outspread veins like a spider. It was very exciting.

On the 17th day I went for the morning check up and there was a small crack near the air pocket at the tip of the egg. I wasnt sure how long it would take the little fella but sure enough 10 hours later, he was out! He grew up to be a fine young pigeon, he was very beautiful and softly cooed to me when he saw me, and his name was Chippy.

Some of your stories are lovely, I must say do not give up on your eggs if you decide to look after some as some are slow to come out, just like with human pregnancy. If you do not like pigeons, do not touch them or their nests, just leave them be as they are not out to hurt anyone.

As for diseases, yes pigeons do carry diseases, but they only catch them from the outdoors that we let feral pigeons live in. New eggs will be harmless to humans, so long as you do not let them come into contact with a feral (street) pigeon.

If you are not sure what to feed your pigeons, I suggest that for squabs (the babies) you feed them crop milk formula. Any avarian milk formula will do, but baby parrot milk formula is the best, as pigeons are close relatives to the parrot. If you cannot get hold of any crop formula or its an emergency feed for a squab, soak some hemp seeds until they are mushy and feed them with tweezers or a pippet. When they are about two weeks old, try to wean them on to hemp seeds solid, and a dish of water.

As for looking after eggs, keep them about 90 - 95 F. Make sure you turn them regularly, but stop this after 15 days.

I wish you all the best of luck with your pigeons!

• Pigeon Chick   7 years 5 weeks ago

can someone help me !!! ok so a pigon had 2 eggs n one of my upstairs bed rooms now 2 lovly lil chicks but i need that room what do i do i tryd to move them down stars n the pigon kept comein bk to the other window n now i have them n one room with the window open i need help or how long till they fly away

• Burnhamthorpe Credit River Bridge   7 years 5 weeks ago

I agree with your points and feel saddened by this incident. I have seen bridges (Danforth bridge in Toronto) that not only have higher rails but actually have wire barrier to prevent anyone from even coming close to falling off the bridge.

Cyclists are supposed to dismount and walk their bicycles over a bridge. It's a safety issue and a proactive measure to prevent any accidents. I would never ride a bike across a bridge, especially near the railing. One is better off to ride in the designated bicycle lanes on the street, though getting hit by a car becomes the risk.

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 7 weeks ago

Same jokes even...

Don't know how my mom found your blog, but she forwarded your pigeon story to me after having read mine. Check it out at Montreal-la-la

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 9 weeks ago

I have been watching a pair of pigeons nest outside my flat and she layed 2 eggs but in the early hours of this morning someone threw and litre bottle of water at them now their gone but i have looked around and they are nowhere in sight and now i have the eggs i need to know how to incubate them and then what do i feed them and how often if they hatch?

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 12 weeks ago

can i suck ur EGGS

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 12 weeks ago

Same thing happened to me but now I have two baby chicks living under my bbq cover....yikes!

• Cyclists Dismount   7 years 15 weeks ago

I hate that stretch. I sometimes cruise very slowly on the sidewalk (the only time I ever take to the sidewalk) as long as there are no peds. I must have missed those signs. I'd really like the city to do something there, and not just for cyclists. That piece of Bloor is a blight in every way.

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 16 weeks ago

i have or should i say had 2 pigeons and one die they have eggs in my pot plant the other still sits on there is it able to take care of them by its self?

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 17 weeks ago

Hi there just wondering if you came up with anything on how to care for your eggs as my partner moved the nest off his fishing gear the other day to the other side of the balcony and as expected the parents flew away and didnt come back.

Thanks Tara x

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 18 weeks ago

Can domestic pigeons carry diseases?

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 19 weeks ago

it was probably the father.
    the father lays on the egg during the day
    and then mother comes at night.
    usually pretty late

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 19 weeks ago

I found a pigeon eggs on a beach. It was REALLY cold outside and I'm worried it will die. I read one of the articles above and put it in warm water, but I don't know how long to keep it in it or what. I don't know what to do and don't have a clue about bird eggs. Could you help me, please? I really don't want it to die.

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 20 weeks ago

I was decorating my living room and had to put some stuff on my balcony to make space. Included was a large travel bag with wheels on.

Anyway the next day when I went to get the stuff back in I noticed that there were a whole bunch of twigs inside the bag. So I left it.

A few days later I noticed a single egg in there!! Hahaha.. two days after that there were two eggs. Mummy pigeon is sitting on them all the time now and I leave her bread each day. These particular birds are not that timid at all as they don't seem to mind me coming or going from the balcony. They were probably born there themselves and are used to people coming and going.. Can't wait to see the babies.. :)

See pics here.

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 21 weeks ago

I too was so frustrated with 2 pigeons on my balcony and railing and I would shoo them away. I get a call from my son this afternoon and he lets me know that we have a nest and egg on the balcony in the corner underneath a few stacked chairs! Looks like I am going to be a grandma! Going on line to find out what to do - and I see your comments! Hey that is my story.
    What does one do once the egg is hatched....and the baby is able to fly away? I don't want them back - any suggestions?

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 23 weeks ago

if you find a pigeon nest it will take about 18 to 22 days old before eggs hatch this will be there home they will not fly away and stay away most times they will come back. they can take care for them selfs after about 4 weeks. what to do if you find a pigeon if pigeon can not fly place it in a box with some strew or wood shavings not to deep. place a small pot of water and some bird seed corn etc bread is not good you can give rice for a few days if thats or you have.make shore bird can see what its eating not to dark in the box. what to do if you find pigeon with ring band on most racing pigons stop off for a few days for a rest bite to eat and drink and want to get back home to wife kids etc.most times you can find the phone number of owner on the pigeon if you open wing you might see a stamp on top of feathers with num or a name and number on leg hope this as been some help to you

• Lots of walking this winter   7 years 25 weeks ago

I look at all your pictures :-p

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 26 weeks ago

NOW that i took the eggs the mother pigeon wont take em back obviously as we all know... so now i gotta take care of em or as my parents/bro say throw them in the bin... i do not want to do that. so please tell me any ideas of how to take care of pigeon eggs.. eg (put them in a box etc etc). ty

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 27 weeks ago

how can u be so crul and take the eggs man the mom and dad can die from worring 2 much and i bet you kill animals 2 god i hate u im such an animal lover i will never hurt them im there friends u are such a crule person so dont kill animals anymore got got me punk

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 27 weeks ago

you are so crul u eat baby pegon eggs man talk about you hate birds and mabey your a animal killer godddddddddddd how can u be so crul to animals

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 28 weeks ago

Hey Vanessa,

Rod The Roller Guy ( i raise Tumbler pigeons ) feral wild pigeons can sometimes carry diseases... though nothing to alarm the national gaurd.... lol.... it all depends wether there scrounging for food, though most wild pigeons are perfectly fine.... there just as any other bird that flys, succeptible to any disease... though praise the eggs of an extrodinary performing athlete of the blue sky as theyve been around for many of years..... did you know theses guys can stay a flight for hours.... pigeons are not that nasty /messy as one would think, though i know you see the wild pigeon on on buildings as in your case your balcony.... thats covered with poop.... and your like eeeeeewwwwwww!!!!! thats because there not on there diet, or with a trainer or in a loft... and know they want harm the dog just dont let him eat the pigeon or the poop if any.....

Have a nest day....

• Pigeon Eggs   7 years 28 weeks ago

i wouldn't eat a pigeon egg