Recent comments

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 14 weeks ago

i wouldn't eat a pigeon egg

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 14 weeks ago

I hear you should only turn your pigeon egg at least twice a day

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 16 weeks ago

i just discovered an egg in my planter today.what do i do to make sure it does not die? the pigeon seems to get scared whenever i hav a look at it, it moves away as soon as i get closer. so any advice?when will it hatch & what should i do when t hatches? how long will it say in my planter after that?

• Weekend Bike Tour to Darlington Provincial Park   6 years 21 weeks ago

I live in Bowmanville and the Oshawa to Port Hope ride along the Waterfront Trail is one of my favorite rides. Very little traffic along Lakeshore rd, and the scenery is beautiful. As you ride east from Newcastle you notice the drumlins created in the last ice age. Very nice rolling terrain as you go East.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 23 weeks ago

I had a injured pigeon, and it diddn't eat or drink so I started asking people what pigeons eat. Soon I found that it like some peach and some soaked breads, but they wont it them while your watching so leave it alone some where quiet and see what happens the next day!!!

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 29 weeks ago

i have a piegon that is injured a car hit it. its foot is crushed i am trying to keep it warm and with food and water it wont eat or drink any sujestions!!!

• USB Mass Storage Devices (Compact Flash Card Readers) in Linux   6 years 30 weeks ago

I was unable to mount my Treo 650 SD Card using Ubuntu 7.04, and now, thnaks to you, it works great!!!

Your instructions were very clear and helpfull!

Cheers
    Andre

• Vic's Tall-Bike   6 years 33 weeks ago

Yeah, good point.

I haven't gone beyond the "drawing" stage of this project, but the chain line would definitely need more consideration.

• Vic's Tall-Bike   6 years 33 weeks ago

what about the chain line? all your rear stays will probably be in the way

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 36 weeks ago

I hate to break it to you but your "research" involving pigeons disease is way off. My father is losing vision in both eyes because of histoplasmosis that he acquired as a child playing in his grandfather's pigeon coop. Histoplasmosis is a common fungus to come in contact with, but can be dangerous in high quantities. Research has shown that the histoplasmosis thrives in pigeon droppings. While it may not be dangerous in small quantities, if you turn your balcony into a de facto pigeon coop, you may be at risk too. Remember that these birds are only natural to Europe, Northern Africa and Western Asia, if you live outside of these areas and shelter these birds, you are helping to support a pest that is displacing the natural fauna of the area.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 38 weeks ago

I have spend hours planting veggies and all of my favorite flowers out on my balcony since I moved in in May. I chased the pigeons away whenever they came by but now they have laid eggs in one of my pots. I could never kill the eggs but now they have ruined my balcony oasis! I cant go out there without being attacked by the mother. It is August now, does this mean they will have my balcony until Sept??? Can I move the nest? Any ideas??

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 38 weeks ago

So I found this pigeon nest in my balcony the other day and i see the pigeon sitting there most of the time every once in a while it stands up and moves around and there I see the two eggs. today I checked up on the nest and the pigeon was gone and there is only 1 egg left. Any idea what could have happened?

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 38 weeks ago

I have 2 eggs on my terrance and I am scared to go on my own terreance. The mom does not move I am scared should I get them removed? How long is it going to be before they leave.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 38 weeks ago

There are two eggs on my balcony and the mom has not been back in two days. Did she abandon them? Or is it normal to leave eggs for so long. I don't want a horrible smell out there.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 39 weeks ago

Please Advise, My balcony Pigeon friend has left the nest after a month of tending to the two eggs. Are the eggs not alive? Your comments and information would be appreciated. Thank you. Randy Lee

• The Long Way Home: Port Credit and Etobicoke   6 years 44 weeks ago

Hi Vic;

years ago ('bout 20) i used to commute from East York to CarlingView Dr. Often followed the southerly ravines on the way home; Etobicoke Creek, Mimico Creek, and Humber river paths. Back in those days i enjoyed the meandering, and various stopping and observing points, but it was before digital cameras, so i rarely took photos. Nice to see yours; brings back memories.................

Bruce

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 44 weeks ago

How Can I Move A Pigeon Nest With Eggs

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 44 weeks ago

Hey i have 2 baby pigeons on my balcony I noticed the eggs about a month ago and decided to leave them there but thing is don't they carry diseases? I have a dog that goes out on the balcony to pee will it hurt her in any way? I even took pics of the eggs and pigeon i wanted to watch them hatch but i missed it would have been interesting to watch. The pigeons nest is behind a piece of board i had stuck up there werid how they just layed the eggs there knowing we come in and out of the balcony. Well hope to hear from someone soon
    Vanessa

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 45 weeks ago

Hello,
    I loved your story about the Tokyo pigeon family.
    I also seem to be a pigeon magnet or rather my balcony is.
    I have tried numerous times to chase away a very determined pair with no success. They have now managed to lay two eggs on the part of the balcony I have not fenced off. The rest of my balcony is fenced off as for the past 7months I've had a rescue pigeon that I found, thought would die but after mashing up seeds and plenty of TLC it is now ridiculously tame,it loves to be fussed, has an annoying habit of sitting on my shoulder and falling asleep and makes a strange coo noise if ignored. It will never beable to fly again due to the injury sustained. So it has become the new lodger and lives with me in my flat. It has become a great companion and pet Much to the disguist of many a friend. I got so fed up with so many banging on about how they are vermin, covered in disease can kill humans etc. I decided to do some research and as predicted it is a total myth, blatant propaganda spread in the 1980s by a billion dollar pest control industry so have no fear you will not catch any deadly lurgy.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 45 weeks ago

Here is a link to pigeon diseases and what they can do to humans. http://www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsPigeons.html#d

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 48 weeks ago

no they are not dead because i got told that they can hatch from march to june so leave it for some weeks a reserch on the internet because i am in the same situation like you and do not tuch the nest because the mom pigeonwill no return then the pigeon eggs will be dead

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 49 weeks ago

I found a Pigeon nest on my balcony, as well. I destroyed it thinking that if I did this the Pigeons would nest elsewhere. The same two pigeons, one fat and whitish grey the other skinny and mostly grey with a hint of green were sill flapping and crapping around my porch. I often work at home so I bought a squirt gun and any time I saw them land on my balcony I'd aim for their eye but was lucky to even hit them on a feather. They're not quick but my screen door is very noisy.

Anyway, one day after grilling steaks I thought I'd put the grill cover back on; seeing as my grill is one of the few items on my porch that is not covered in spattered pigeon poop. The cover had been sitting out for a few hours, I went to grab it and nearly #@!% my pants. Apparently a pigeon was under or inside it. When I finally got the cover back on my grill and looked back at the spot where the grill cover temporarily sat, I found a cracked egg.

I must admit I felt a little guilty but I'd already had a few evening cocktails so my sensitive nature was soon washed away. "At least," I thought, "The Pigeons are sure to stay away this time."

Only problem is, just the other day, about a week or so after the first egg grill cover incident, I discovered another nest between two folded lawn chairs stacked between my dryer (yes this on my balcony, too) and my air conditioner unit. This time the nest contained two eggs and I conceded defeat.

I've decided, especially after reading the many posts, diseases or no diseases, I will help the plumb whitish grey (I've now named her Edna) and the thin grayish green (Chuck)live to see their dreams of a family in all its glory on my balcony in Tokyo, Japan.

I hope the little buggers hatch soon and fly away free.

• Pigeon Eggs   6 years 49 weeks ago

well if you are pregnant keep away from them its simple

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   6 years 50 weeks ago

Hi Tom!

It's not the heavy-duty trailer, just the regular one. I think if I were to buy one again just for cargo purposes, I'd opt of the heavy-duty so I could carry heavier stuff without any fear.

This one came with my Bike Friday folding bike, and is used for towing the suitcase trailer that the bike packs into. It's beefy enough for carrying camping equipment and other loads, but I don't think I would put TOO much stuff on it.

It makes a great grocery-getter!

I just saw the pics that Brenda emailed me. AWESOME! It's really alot of fun moving stuff by bike. It can seem un-doable at first, but it's pretty easy with the right equipment once you get started.

Cheers,
    Vic

• Rubbermaid Bike Trailer   6 years 50 weeks ago

Nice! I just looked at the website, is that the heavy-duty? Did you order online? I'd like to hear updates on the performance... I think Brenda just e-mailed you, but check out our trailer adventures on her facebook page... man, there's nothing quite like hauling a filing cabinet through Chinatown!