Recent comments

• Valentine's Day Cupcakes   6 years 1 week ago

Very cute Vic! I didn't know you had some Martha Stewart in ya! :-)

• Valentine's Day Cupcakes   6 years 1 week ago

Thanks Brenda. I thought they were tasty, but you'd have to ask Jen for a less biased opinion! :)

• Valentine's Day Cupcakes   6 years 1 week ago

These look great Vic. Were they as good as they look? Jennifer and Alex really are blessed to have a caring and creative guy like you. A great big Valentine's Day to you all.
    Brenda and Miro

• Pigeons at breakfast   6 years 2 weeks ago

Those aren't just pigeons -- they're survivors. Take a look-see at that them there link down there that I pastered:

• Graffiti Manners   6 years 2 weeks ago

Hello Mr. Potty Mouth,

You should have understood "I would" as "If I could, I would...." More to the point, you should have taken that to mean, "If I had the coercive elements of the state at my disposal, I would....." Regardless, I doubt the little pimple face would "f" me up (to borrow from your lexicon), regardless of whether or not I have a legion of goons at my side. I'm a pretty tough guy, you know!

By the way, that's not art. That's some little punk's vandalism.

Finally, I do have a set of balls. Quite a set! I am extremely virile and can demonstrate with family photos the good use that I've put them to.

• Graffiti Manners   6 years 2 weeks ago

Would that teach the lil punks? I bet you'd try that and they'd fuck you up, why don't you try wondering WHY someone is driven to go put art out in the public, where society doesn't want to see it.

Why don't you pull your head out of your ass and pull the shit chunks off of your eyelashes... there is an entire world above your head...

Grow some balls gedris, softy.

• Graffiti Manners   6 years 2 weeks ago

I would make the little punks who deface beautiful buildings like that lick the paint off, even if it means 8 hour shifts (with 2 fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch break) 5 days a week for 5 years, or until all the paint is gone. And each day would be "Take Parents to Work Day". That would teach those little punks!

• Bloor Street Fitness: One of my favourite storefronts   6 years 3 weeks ago

I wish there were gyms like this in Vancouver. Heck, I would even eat at a restaurant that looked like this!

• Snowpocalypse! Snowmageddon! Disaster!   6 years 3 weeks ago

There are snow flakes in Toronto! Call in the army before everyone's feelings get hurt! Where is Mel Lastname when we need him????

• Dundas and Bloor: The Crossways   6 years 6 weeks ago
    me2

i have never felt that the dissing that the crossways gets it fully justified; think it's the anti suburban mall/developer subculture that we 'urbanPunk' wannabees search 4.

Same with "B"bloor.

• Dundas and Bloor: The Crossways   6 years 7 weeks ago

The expression "oft-maligned residential towers" brings to mind a flood of memories. There are two towers with a mall underneath between them. On the 2nd floor there is access to an amazing terrace (the roof of the Mall basically) stretching between the two towers which included tennis courts, a swimming pool and other things tenants would find enjoyable. Actually the access is blocked and the terrace is not used and in 1998 was getting dilapidated. Unless new owners and developers have come along this is probably still the case.

I lived there 1996-1998. I lived on the 2nd floor and often crawled out the window and wandered the terrace dreaming of better times and imagining what it could have been. All this to say that the apartments were quite nice, and the residential complex had a lot of potential. I loved the Mall underneath, and the convenient access to the TTC.

However, what was not good about it were the cockroaches. It is what got me started on researching how to control them when evidently the professional pest control companies had to treat the place regularly three to four times a year. I actually figured out how to handle the situation and proposed the plan to the administration and started generating a tenant awareness campaign but before I could mount the plan I had to move back to Montreal. I wonder if the towers are still infested?

• Dupont St. bridge construction + Planet Storage   6 years 7 weeks ago

Stop the gravy train!!!

• San Francisco: Visit our other locations   6 years 12 weeks ago

Cool. It's always interesting to hear what these places were in the past.

Now I'm hungry for Indian food.

• San Francisco: Visit our other locations   6 years 12 weeks ago

I think I ate here before they closed.. I haven't been back to the Tenderloin in so long, I had no idea this was already gone. I believe they're still at their other locations.. it's a pretty good and (relatively) cheap small chain.

• Hotel Essex, San Francisco   6 years 13 weeks ago

I don't recall seeing any poop anywhere, but wouldn't be totally surprised if I did.

Yeah, it's actually a really beautiful area of the city. I could totally see it getting gentrified, but I bet its reputation is strong enough to keep that from happening so quickly.

• Hotel Essex, San Francisco   6 years 13 weeks ago

Any human excrement? That's when you _really_ know you're in the Tenderloin.

Nice area apart from that, stayed there once myself :)

• Warning: Car exhaust is bad   6 years 14 weeks ago

This would make a good bumper sticker if it weren't so long.

• Warning: Car exhaust is bad   6 years 15 weeks ago

Hey, I've just found something to paint on the side of the van if I ever get sufficiently sick of "LIVRAISON - Eau de Source"

• Sign, sign, everywhere a sign   6 years 16 weeks ago

I've always liked the signage in SF. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

• Sign, sign, everywhere a sign   6 years 16 weeks ago

That place is the most fun since the Bates Hotel.

• Amanda's awesome tree jack-o-lantern   6 years 16 weeks ago

great shot Vic! The tree is a white pine (tree nerds need that level of detail- about trees anyway) and the spiral is just a spiral and calling it a "candy cannon" sounds a lot nicer than "stripper pole" which is apparently what it is. thanks for the shots!

• Caltrain: Sunnyvale   6 years 16 weeks ago

Hey Jason,

Great story and funny ending about the startup. :) But sad to hear about your stolen bike.

I didn't get a chance to use the Caltrain bike cars, and didn't touch a bike the whole time I was in California, but I managed to pop into one of the bike cars when I got off the train in SF. Judging by the number of cyclists getting off the train and around the station, it was very well-used.

• Caltrain: Sunnyvale   6 years 17 weeks ago

Caltrain has nice bicycle cars, but I had my bike stolen from them once while commuting to Sunnyvale. It was in Palo Alto, so I blame some no-good Stanford student. Presumably the proceeds from selling my bike went to fund a start-up.

• Montreal: Bixi on Boulevard de Maisonneuve   6 years 17 weeks ago

Cool, I also recently visited Toronto and reviewed the bike lanes there, with a view to their applicability in Ottawa: http://centretown.blogspot.com/2010/10/montreal-part-2-bike-lanes-segreg...

(My post on the Bixi system will be later in the series).

• Absolute Mississauga   6 years 20 weeks ago

they are really remarkable. It's too bad they're in Mississauga. As for your desire to see the view from the top, I suspect the best view from up there would be looking straight down, watching the curves pull away and back as the tower descends.